Brent and Andrea's Birthday Cake

Seth and Andrea hiding for Brent's big surprise.

 So one of my oldest friends, Brent, and one of my newest friends, but feels like we have been friends for lifetime, are both turning 30 in the next week.  Since this particular group of friends is a group of fabulous jet sets – me included (ha!) – no one was going to be around for their actual birthdays.  So we decided we would through a little surprise dinner party for them.   And I would host.

Now let’s get one thing straight, I am an amazing baker, but I am NOT a great cook.  Like at all.  I can make a great eggplant parm, vegan shepherd’s pie, and a couple other things and that is it.  So hosting a dinner party is a little dicey.  So my friends said they would pitch in with some small bites and I would take care of snakies and the dessert.

I decided that I would make gourmet pizzas, stuffed mushrooms, a salad, and well dessert.  Since Andrea is having a ticker tape parade for his birthday I decided I would make 3 different kinds of minis for that extravaganza.  But for this I wanted to do a traditional cake.  Honestly, it has been so long since I have made a cake.

What to make?  What to make?  I was so uninspired with all the recipes I was finding.  And then suddenly I thought: yellow cake with chocolate icing.  Done and Done.  Here is the result:

The yellow cakes hot and steamy right out of the oven.

The pizzas: A standard Margarita and a whole wheat crust pizza with ricotta, mozzarella, artichoke hearts, and caramelized red onions.  Delightful.
I decided I didn't want to decorate the top.  I always decorate the top so I thought about it for a little an decided that white chocolate chips might be a cute idea.  I started with three tows, but it looked whacko so I added two more rows and I have to say I LOVE the end result.  Oh and I also made the silk flowers surrounding the cake plate.




Apparently Sether's loved it too.  Notice the piece of cake everyone else got and the piece he got. The cake looked just as gorgeous being cut into as it did waiting to be eaten.


0 Comments