That's Amore (Citrus Pizzelle)

My hands down absolutely favorite cookie of all time is the pizzelle. My grandmother had this heavy old iron she brought over from Italy that made the most perfect cookies I have ever tasted in my life. For years after she passed I would ask for pizzelles at holiday gatherings. My mother would buy them at the store, but they paled in comparison to the real deal. When I started to get really passionate about baking my aunt gifted my grandmother’s authentic pizzelle iron from Avelino. I am not the maker of the pizzelle and I wear that honor with great pride. This is my spring variation of truly the best cookie that has ever been invented. Yep, I just stepped to the chocolate chip cookie!

Citrus Pizzelle

photo by beth kirby




















Active: 2 Hours
Servings: 50-60 Cookies

Ingredients:

3 Cups of Flour
4 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 ¾ Cup Sugar
6 Eggs
1 Cup Butter (melted)
3 Tbsp Orange Blossom Water
2 tsp vanilla
Juice of 3 Lemons
Zest of 3 Lemons

Directions:
Place the butter in a small microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave about 45 seconds. Set aside. Crack the eggs and lightly beat them in a large bowl. Add the sugar, orange blossom water, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stream in the butter until combined. Add the flour and baking powder per cup and mix until thick and smooth. Plug in your pizzelle iron and spray with cooking spray, or coat with shortening. Wait for the iron to be hot, and sizzling. Get comfortable and spoon in 1 Tbsp of cookie dough. Close the top and wait for the cookies to become golden brown – about 4-5 minutes.


**Be sure to have them cool on a flat surface otherwise the cookies will take on the shape of where it is cooled.

0 Comments