Past the Point of No Return (Banana Bread with Brown Sugar Bourbon Sauce)

I have always loved sweet breads. Not to be confused with the delicacy. I am a vegetarian so I will leave sweetbreads aka calf brains to more adventurous eaters. But I have always a had an affinity for zucchini bread, banana bread, lemon poppy seed bread, pumpkin bread, gingerbread, you get the idea.

It is probably because while my mom doesn't bake much, she is a prolific sweet bread maker. Care packages for major holidays, to this day, make me squeal with delight.

This is an homage to the lady who makes the sweetest breads I have ever tasted.

Banana Bread with a Brown Sugar Bourbon Glaze






















Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Prep Time: 2 hours

Ingredients:

Banana Bread

4 Ripe Bananas Frozen, in peel, and thawed*
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2/3 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Allspice
1 12 tsp Vanilla
1/2 Chopped Walnuts (optional)

*when my bananas get to the point of no return, I put them in my freezer with the peel still on, until I am ready to use them. When I am ready to make my bread I take them out of the freezer, put them in a bowl and allow them to thaw

Bourbon Sauce

Banana juice from the thawed bananas

1 1/2 fluid ounces Bourbon (one shot)
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 and grease loaf pan - I like to use melted butter.


Peel the thawed bananas and place them in a large bowl. Keep the peels and the juice and set aside. With fork, mash the bananas. Add the oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined. Then add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Mix together until completely incorporated then fold in the walnuts, if you are using them.

Pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is brown and the center comes out clean when a toothpick is inserted.

For the Glaze:

Pour the Banana juice, be sure to wring out the peels as well - the more gooey juice the better!, the bourbon, brown sugar, and vanilla into a small sauce pan. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes until the glaze starts to thicken. Take it off the heat and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before using.


*I like to poke holes in my bread before I pour the glaze over it. That way it gets incorporated inside and more ooey gooey and delicious.


0 Comments