White Cake with Roasted Coconut Filling, Marshmallow Meringue Frosting
topped with Roasted Coconut (The highly photographed losing cupcake)


Today is my first day of the rest of my life. I have officially started a blog chronicling my baking adventures. This is something I have been talking about for a while now and I was inspired after losing miserably at the 2nd Annual Brooklyn Cupcake Contest. I went on the Brooklyn Kitchen website the next day to read about the contest and what do I find? Oh, pictures of MY cupcakes. Not good enough to win, but pretty enough to use for the blog. Upon more sleuthing, I found site after site with pictures of MY cupcakes! I thought well if they are going to be on other people's blogs perhaps I should put them on mine.

I bake for the joy of it, the relaxation it brings, and the happy faces I see when people bite into my treats. I also experiment a lot with ingredients. Having dietary restrictions myself, a sister who is vegan, and a fair amount of celiac friends I have been forced to find creative ways to make old favorites. Join me as I bake for the masses and attempt to find the holy grail of "healthy" baked goods.
Me with my losing cupcakes. They do look delicious though and that is half the battle.

The other losing cupcake from the cupcake contest. I was sad to see that it didn't win for simple decoration. I mean I made the cherry blossoms with my own two hands! The cake was not as moist and delicious as it usually is, but I just moved and I am still getting used to my brand new oven. The more I bake in it the better they will get and my plan for total cupcake domination will come to fruition!

Vegan Chocolate Cupcake with Orange Blossom Infused Vanilla "Butter cream" Frosting
and handmade Royal Icing Cherry Blossoms

I made these for my friend Lizzie's going away/birthday party. They were supposed to be pale pink, but they turned out a little brighter than anticipated. Let this be a lesson that a little goes a long way. They have a sort of New York/Sex and the City vibe to them and since she is moving - sigh - to Australia they were perfect.

Old Fashioned Yellow Cake with Vanilla Butter cream

This is my AWARD winning cake. I originally made it for my friend Liza's birthday. It was so off-the-hook that it has become my most popular cake/cupcake. I entered it into a cupcake contest last year and won second place! Go figure. It was a hot day when I made this cake for Kate's birthday - upon request - so it looks a little funny, but man it was DELISH.

Ginger infused Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
and handmade Royal Icing Apple Blossoms

I made this one for the Spaniard's - a.k.a my sister's fiance - birthday party. Dark, rich, and delicious this went over very well with the army of people at the brew house.

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache and Roasted Hazelnut Garnish




0 Comments