My Australian Baking Challenge

Not only am I a LOBSTER from sitting out on the deck with my mother yesterday, but I am also a sad lady today. My dear friend Lizzie left for Australia on Sunday. An incredible friend and an amazing cook we were perfect together because she always did the savory and I always did the sweet. Now my dinner parties will all be dessert parties without her...

Due to my previously mentioned dietary restrictions, I rarely eat what I make. I have taste testers. One of which was Lizzie. She has a great palate and is an incredible cook. Her input in my baking was invaluable.

* Attention, attention calling all taste testers. Must have advanced palate and love baked goods and be willing to listen to me rock out on my guilty pleasures play list.

Lizzie has offered me the ultimate challenge - should I choose to accept it. She has asked me to come up with the perfect cupcake for her WEDDING! Yes, I said wedding. Now, I have made a wedding cake before. It was 3 tiers, 2 different kinds of cake, flowers on top, with a beaded border. It was no joke. I will try to get some pictures of it so you can see it in all of its glory. But that was made in the comfort and privacy of my own home. If I made a mistake I could fix it and had all of the tools at the ready. This challenge is especially difficult. Lizzie lives in AUSTRALIA. She is getting married in January - in Australia - which is like our late July early August. You do the math. 90 degree weather easily. So, how does one make the PERFECT cupcake for an Australian wedding? Do things cook differently there? I mean it is the other side of the world. They work in Celsius, not degrees and in grams not pounds. I am going to have to verse myself in all of this prior to the big day. Until then, I will be trying every white cake recipe I can get my hands on. I find that white and yellow cake is a lot harder to make than chocolate cake. The texture is just too dense. I also have to think about a heat resistant buttercream. HA! Her colors are white and yellow. So I want to come up with a simple decoration for the cupcakes.

In the next 6 months you will witness many triumphs and failed attempts at fabulousness. Let's hope the perfect wedding cupcake can be created in that time.

1 Comments