To Frost or Not to Frost

Retro Birthday Cupcakes (Chocolate and White Cake with
Yellow Vanilla Buttercream Frosting & Rainbow Sprinkles)

This week I made some cupcakes for dinner with my friend Max. They were straight up white and chocolate cake with vanilla butter cream frosting and rainbow sprinkles - although where I am from they call them "Jimmys." I thought they were a great throwback to the old days. You know the birthday party around the picnic table with hats made of newspaper? Or were those just my parties... I love how playful they looked and of course they were loaded with frosting.

Max took one bite of my super cute retro cupcake and said, "there is too much frosting on this for me" and proceeded to remove almost ALL of the icing off my fab cupcake. Now I realize that everyone has their thing when it comes to cupcakes. I personally LOVE frosting. In fact, there was a time - which I am not too proud of - when I would literally crave buttercream frosting so my mother would go out buy a mini cake and I would eat the frosting and she would eat the cake. I am happy to say that is no longer. But I wonder would a cupcake be a cupcake without frosting? I am sure my mother would prefer just a smattering of icing and mostly just the cake. But surely that isn't a true cupcake.

How much is too much frosting? I whip my frosting waaay longer than most to make it light and fluffy so that the frosting doesn't overtake the cake, but perhaps I need to search for a less sugary and more buttery frosting. You know it is funny, when I try cupcakes I either LOVE the cake or I LOVE the frosting. I never love both. I wonder if I could find the perfect combination? Hmmm... yet another challenge. This is going to be a busy summer.

Retro Birthday Cupcakes (Chocolate and White Cake with
Yellow Vanilla Buttercream Frosting & Rainbow Sprinkles)

0 Comments