LA Baby! Part 1 Margarita Bus and the House of Pies


Yes folks I was in the great state of California. The land of the grapes, Steinbeck, surfer dudes, the MA (model/actress), Ed Hardy cheese bag clothing, and of course Arnold and Maria. Before I left I was in a FRENZY. I had friends in and out of town, life changing events, one of those acting classes when you ask what is it all for, and an impending birthday. I was ready for a vacation and who knows, maybe I would meet E or Ari on the margarita bus and never come back. I mean anything is possible.

My sister and I travel VERY well together. I mean so well that we have considered, more than once, auditioning for the Amazing Race. I am the driver and she is the navigator. My sister can read a map like a champ. It is awesome really. I look at a map and I have to turn it to face the same way I am and then I STILL go the wrong way. The only thing that holds us back is that I am vegetarian and she is vegan. Not a good combo when you have to eat a 1/2 lb of caviar in order to proceed to the next rest stop.

This trip was going to be great on so many levels: 1. It is the first vacation I have been on in 2 years - disgusting I know. 2. I was going to really see LA. 3. I was going to get to go to the FAMOSO Sprinkles Bakery. AND 4. I was going to have LUNCH with Andrew Firestone. Yes, the Bachelor Season 3. This was also a pre-birthday celebration and my sister planned a vintage dress shopping trip - AMAZING - and a day on the margarita bus (7 years running). This bus is organized by one of our good childhood friends and a bunch of my sister's college friends. It is no joke. There is a dj and margaritas on the bus and then you go to 5 different Mexican dive bars throughout LA. But here is the best part: You are on a double decker bus and you go on the freeway. I mean it was hysterical. The most incredible moment was when we drove past this furniture store and this man looked up and said "dios mio" in what looked like slow motion. It was a fantastic way for me to see LA and it was so hilarious. After our rousing day of the margarita bus a few of us rallied - 2 a.m. east coast time - and went for dinner at the subpar and very trendy restaurant Ketchup. Following Ketchup, we went to the most AMAZING place ever: The Rainbow Room.

In New York the Rainbow room is what legends are made of: super chic, super exclusive, super fab. Well in LA it is also what legends are made of - 1980's hair band legends. Now don't get me wrong I loved me some hair bands - Guns n' Roses, Warrant, Cinderella, White Snake, Def Leopard, Skid Row, the list goes on... We walked into something I have never experienced in my life. I actually think that I got my picture taken with Rob Z'nuff who was playing a show earlier that night across the street. RIDIC!

Rob Z'nuff Anyone?

In the mornings I would wake up early and head to the local Equinox to work out and there I saw Bradley Cooper, David Cook, and a couple other no name model actresses. Then I would head back to our super exclusive resort across from the Chateau Marmonte - LiLo anyone - and think this is LA - SCENE.

My sister and I did a lot of adventure seeking and spent a lovely afternoon at the Getty. In the evening we went to Los Feliz where Mike D - with your bad self runnin' things - and Gwen Stefani live. Apparently it is the hipster part of town so duh we had to go. I mean we - and by we I mean more my sister than me - are hipsters from way back. It was a small strip of trendy restaurants and some cute shops that were closed and we walked into this diner for dinner and got looks from the tattoo clad customers. Of course the menu was all organic and yummy, and there was a sandwich named after Mike D. so we knew we were in the right place, but when I was done I needed more. I needed something to put me over the top. That is when I saw it... The
House of Pies! Yep. It is a huge Pie shop and that was where we were headed. Jenna, Kevin, and I headed over to the House of Pies and I was bound and determined to taste me some good pie.

Now I am not a big pie eater. I enjoy my apple pie at Thanksgiving and that is about it so when it came
to picking a flavor I was at a loss. I didn't think that I would like peach pie or or pineapple and since there were so many - as you can see from the menu below I deferred to the waitress. She suggested the coconut creme.

My father is the ONLY person in my family that is a pudding fan, but I figured that I was on vacation and why the hell not? Kevin got the Key lime and Jenna, since she is vegan, just watched. The pieces of pies were the size of Texas and while I was worried about not liking the pie it still called to me. Come to me my angel of music... The pie was AMAZING. AMAZING. It was light and fluffy. Not too sweet and had a really clear toasted coconut flavor. The crust was crispy and delicious. I suddenly became a believer in pies. The key lime was okay, but the coconut creme? Forget it. I will forever remember House of Pies and how it introduced me to the fluffy goodness of the Coconut creme pie.

Treat Your Taste Buds To The Creamy Richness Of Our Famous Cheesecakes

Blueberry, Cherry, Sour Cream, Seasonal Fresh Strawberry, Raspberry, Marble, Pumpkin, Chocolate Chip, Cappuccino, Southern Pecan Cream Pies $4.15

Traditional Favorites Starting With Our Flaky Crust And Topped With Fresh Fluffy whipped Cream

Banana, Chocolate, German Chocolate, Bavarian Chocolate, Bavarian Choc Banana, Lemon, Coconut, Pumpkin Meringue &custard Pies $3.85

Lemon Meringue our amazing meringue mounded high on the creamy goodness of this old favorite

Egg Custard fresh baked flaky pie cream and egg custard egg custard makes you think of mom's kitchenFruit Pies $3.55

Double Your Pleasure With A Bottom And Top Crust Filled With Your Favorite Fruit

Apple Peach Dutch Apple topped with streusel Blueberry, Pumpkin, Cherry, Pineapple, Fresh Apple topped with cinnamon and butter crumble


Our Pies...








0 Comments