LA -er Santa Barbara - Baby! Part Tres - The Bachelor


Tuscany? Nope, just Santa Barbara

The rest of the vacation was spent in Santa Barbara. It is so gorgeous there. There is this surf town called Summerland which is so great. My sister and I have a good friend who was on the WB series and we thought it was just a clever name for a TV show, but no it actually is a town and it rocks.


We spent one whole day driving through the mountains on our way to lunch with Mr. Andrew Firestone. It was a gorgeous and treacherous ride. It reminded me of when my girlfriends and I were driving to the walled cities in Tuscany, except there weren't cars zooming past us on hair pin turns. The little towns we were passing through were so quaint and seemed like they were out of a John Wayne movie. One, Solveng, is like a Norwegian Village smack dab in the mountains of Southern California. The oddest and most interesting thing I have seen in some time.


On our way to lunch we were both kind of dreading the idea of having to hang with the Bachelor. We thought it was going to be the low point of the trip, but as we approached Curtis we knew we had to make the best of it. First of all, Andrew Firestone is WAY cuter in person than on TV or in People, US Weekly, In Touch, or the Enquirer. He was also extremely knowledgeable about wine and the wine making process and took us on a full tour of his winery and then brought us out for a tasting. He was so enthusiastic about his product and explained everything so clearly that is was totally pleasurable to actually learn about wine. After the tasting we had lunch on the grounds and it was lovely. He told us about his wedding, he freaked out when I told him I was an opera singer and launched into a story about how his father sings for the Santa Barbara Chorale and will be so disappointed that he missed the opportunity of meeting me, and we shared our love of baked good while eating mondo cookies that were amazing. What we thought was going to be kind of a nightmare ended up being one of the best parts of our trip!


My vacation was a much needed getaway and pick me up for the craziness that is my life in New York. I didn't get discovered and I didn't meet - sigh - E. but I did have an amazing time with my sister and got to try some great baked goods. Thanks Jenna for a fab and much needed birthday vacation.



0 Comments