It's TONY Time!

TONY Night Delight.
Well, if you know anything about me, or have read this blog even once, you know I am a HUGE musical theatre dork.  I mean I am a singer/actor in New York City.  You do the math.  But oddly I have never attended a TONY party.  Not a super fance one thrown by a nominated show nor a small time apartment style party.  So this year I decided I would make my own party, ahem of two.

I was super excited because although I often know many people nominated I had a bff in a nominated show, that won best new musical, a good friend nominated in another show, that won best revival of a musical, and my mentor and friend was nominated for best supporting actress in a musical.  It was sure to be a fun night!

I was completely slammed all weekend with auditions, callbacks (which I booked, what, what!), rehearsals, coachings, and my yoga challenge, but I was bound and determined to have this little dinner party.  My friend Anne and I had been attempting, rather unsuccessfully, to go gluten free and sugar free and this was our chance to cook our way to sugar freedom!  There was no damn way I was canceling this dinner date and TONY "party."

Anne came over and I of course didn't have half of the ingredients I needed, cause I am awesome and NEVER cook, but she was super prepared and we actually managed to make some really tasty gluten free main dishes.  Like really tasty.  But since we are both seriously addicted to sugar I knew I needed to represent in the carb/sugar side of things.  The first thing I wanted to make was gluten free popovers which would have been awesome, except I didn't have any soy milk.  Oops!  But! I did get an e-mail from my favorite gluten free home cook, Elena, for an apple/blackberry crisp.  Um... yummers.  Luckily enough I had everything I needed: almond flour, agave nectar, granny smith apples, blackberries, sea salt, and a little bit on lemon juice.  Done and done.

This recipe was SUPER easy.  Really who knew that gluten free baking could be so easy?  Two things about this recipe.  The first, the topping wasn't as loose as I would have liked. It didn't spread easily across the whole top.  Next time I make it I am going to add a little bit of soy milk to just loosen it a bit.  The second, you have to cover the crisp halfway through the baking process to ensure that it doesn't dry out.

And while it didn't look that great it was AMAZEBALLS!  The tartness of the blackberries, the sweetness of the apples, and the earthiness of the almond topping made this dessert complex and delightful.  And it only called for 1 TEASPOON of agave nectar!

Don't judge a book by it's cover.  This blackberry apple crisp is ridic!


Anne and I were having an amazing time watching the TONYs.  They were super fun, our friends performed and won, and we found a delicious sugar free, gluten free dessert.  As far as I am concerned it was a perfect night.

0 Comments