Just Tagalong! (Copycat Tagalong Girl Scout Cookies)

Girl Scout seasons was a death match of epic proportions at my house. My sister and I were both in troupes and both selling cookies door to door in our neighborhood and at my dad's office. I guess being the boss has it perks when you have to strong arm your employees into buying delicious cookies to support a kick ass organization. But my mother was very clear that we had to share what we sold. I sold 70 boxes and my sister sold 60, my mother would split it so it was even. It made the competitor in me crazy, but it was the right thing to do. Needless to say, after my sister left The Girl Scouts I was a cookie selling machine.

Anyway! I digress. My sister and I live in New York City now and we don't get our mitts on Girl Scout Cookies like we used to so I decided to recreate some of our favorites. Here is the Tagalong in all of its glory. This way you don't have to wait for Girl Scout Cookie season anymore!






Active Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Prep Time: 1 Hour
Servings: 2 Dozen Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup of Brown Butter (softened)
2 cups of flour 
½ tsp of salt 
½ cup sugar  
1 tsp Vanilla
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Peanut Butter
3/4 Cup Confectioner's Sugar
2 Cup Dark Chocolate
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
  
Directions: 
1. Create brown butter by placing the butter in a small saucepan and heat until the butter is melted, starts to froth, turns brown, and smells nutty.

2. Pour the brown butter into a heatproof bowl and place in the refrigerator or freezer to set.

3. In the bowl of a mixer, combine flour, room temp butter, sugar, salt, and mix, with a paddle attachment, until the dough goes from pebble-like to a soft dough. 

4. Shape the dough into a disk and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 60 min or freeze for 30 min. 

5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. 

6. Take the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick and use a round cookie cutter, cut out cookie, and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges turn light brown.

8. Meanwhile make the peanut butter mixture by mixing the confectioner's sugar and peanut butter together to create a thick paste.

9. When the cookies are completely cool place a heaping teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture on top of the cookie - I like to flatten it out so the cookie looks smooth when covered with chocolate.

10. Pour the chocolate chips and the coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments until fully melted. 

11. Now for the messy part! Place a piece of parchment under a cooling rack.

12. Using forks, or your hands and a knife, dip the cookies into the melted chocolate. Be sure to coat the bottom too!

13. Place the cookies on the cooling rack and let the chocolate set - I speed it up by putting the cookies in the refrigerator - and serve.

12. Enjoy!

0 Comments