Daddy's Bread




I spent much of my summer in Rhode Island doing a show and having a total blast.  In that time, I managed to make my vegan chocolate cupcakes for the cast of Forever Plaid




Cinnamon buns for my summer dish

And a TON of cookies and bars for my amazing kiddies.

If you know me, then you know that I DREAD making bread.  Sorry for the rhyming, but it was unavoidable.  For some reason yeast and I are NOT friends.  We can’t seem to get along.  Well, about 4 days before I made my leave of summer stock paradise my friend Max told me about a hidden treasure: Daddy’s Bread.  Apparently it is a kick-ass bread bakery out of someone’s house.  The Kicker? It is based on the honor system.  Yes, folks apparently in Matunuk Rhode Island you can purchase homemade bread on the honor system.

So, that day Max, our friend Patrice and I decide to find Daddy’s Bread.  We drive donw this little road and at the end of it there it is.  We pull in.  It is super quiet.  There are no other cars around and we fear that our last chance for Daddy’s Bread is gone.  When all of a sudden a 17 year old girl appears like a nymph from the woods, or a baking nymph if you will and invites us into the fabled Daddy’s Bread.  



As we enter we see a wall of bread.  Now you have your normal varietals: White, Wheat, Multigrain, but then there is the Cinnamon Raisin, Cinnamon Apple, Blueberry/Cranberry.  You name it, it is there.  Max and I make out selections and we put in our honorable money and take it back to the theatre.  When we get there we begin to devour this delicious, soft, slightly sweet bread.  



We each shared with the cast and told the story of our honor system bread and then decided we would ferret away the rest of our bread so our last day at the Summer House we could have French toast.

A few days later we wake up, slice the bread, take our last eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, honey, and confectioners and we made the BEST French toast I have ever had, all because of Daddy’s Bread.  Who knew honor system bread could be even more delicious than ever imagined?



0 Comments