Surprise! Surprise!

My Birthday Protrait

Let me just start by saying that I have the best friends EVER! It is true. I truly have been blessed with amazing friends. How in the world did I get so damn lucky? Where is this coming from? Well let me start from the beginning - as Maria says, it is a very good place to start.

After I returned from my weekend on the Cape, my two girlfriends announced they were taking me out for my birthday that next weekend. Cecily decided she was going to pick out my outfit: an AMAZING black Marc Jacobs dress. We were going to pre-party at Kate's ridic new apartment, and then they were going to kidnap me for the night. All they told me was be prepared to have fun and bring stripper ones - no joke.

Leading up to this mystery evening I was excited and a little nervous. I mean stripper ones!?!?!?! Kate said she was going to make me whatever kind of cake/cupcake I wanted and since it was the end of summer -sigh - I opted for yummy lemon. So many things were going through my mind: When will we partake in cake? What if the dress Cec chose for me was over the top? I mean she would wear a prom dress to get milk at the deli on the corner so was I sure she was the best judge? What shoes should I wear? Were we going dancing or to dinner.

The day of my secret evening out was also the same night as a hurricane - Woo hoo! My sister and I had some wedding errands to run. Ahem, the gun at Williams Sonoma - BACK off it is mine lady! So I was a little water logged when I got home and already running late for the evening's festivities. The plan was to get in a cab, get Cecily and go to Kate's. I was, per usual, late and when I got to Cecily's house she was like "YOUR LATE, I mean happy birthday" and handed me a corsage. Yes, I said CORSAGE! It was quite lovely and I can't remember the last time I had one. She said it was my night and I should look like a princess.... I mean who can argue with that?

We roll up to Kate's abode and we get wind blasted - ah hurricanes so good for hot dresses, hair, and a night out on the town... Now what happened next should have tipped me off. Cecily asked if her hair looked okay as we were entering the elevator and it was just us going to pre-party at Kate's sho could fix it when we got there. We got off the elevator and I walked into an AMBUSH! Yep. All of my closest friends in one room screaming surprise, SURPRISE!

Tricky, tricky friends.

It was an amazing night. I had my first birthday circle, all of my favorite food - thank you Ron - a pinata, and my very own tower of cupcakes. They put ten million candles on the tower o' cupcakes - including my age (thanks Cec) - and thanks to my enourmo lung capacity I was able to blow out everyone and make my wish. * I hope it comes true.

Kate ended up making lemon cupcakes with a cream cheese filling and confectioner's sugar topping and black bottom cupcakes - which I believe are her specialty. Since I am allergic to chocolate and my actual birthday had passed, I passed on the black bottom, but I thoroughly enjoyed the lemon cupcakes. In fact, I had 2 - amazing. They had a light lemon flavor and the was a cream cheese center which added a nice touch of sweetness. I hoped someone got pictures of me blowing out the candles, but it seems we missed that. I am totally bummed that I can't show you Kate's baking triumph.

I was so overwhelmed and excited by the generosity and love that went into planning this party. Ron, Kate, and Cecily I can not thank you enough for making my birthday truly memorable and for making me feel so loved and special. And to all of my friends who were there or wanted be there, but were called to work or in Australia thank you for celebrating with me. YOU ROCK! Did I mention this was the best birthday EVER!?!?!?!

0 Comments