The Land Down Under

I know, I know, you haven't heard from me in a while. It has been a very busy winter and not much baking has been happening. I am happy to report that I am currently writing this entry from Australia. I have been here for about a week and have been happily eating my way through the country. While I am here I am throwing food allergies to the wind and eating bread, sugar, and anything else I can manage to get in my gullet - speaking of gullets I saw pelicans yesterday! -

I have managed to try my first savory pie from a famous pie shop in Sydney called Harry's Pies de Wheels. I walked to what seemed like timbuktu and back to get one. It was a pie with carrots, potatoes, and peas and then on top they put mushy peas (mashed peas) and mashed potatoes. YUM. Yesterday I tried a pink Lamington. Due to my jet lag it seems the synapses can't fire when I actually say the name of these. It is always wrong. It has become a bit of a joke. The traditional Lamington is with sponge cake, which a denser angel food cake, a thin layer of chocolate icing and then coconut. They sound great, but I don't do chocolate so I stuck to the raspberry Lamingtons which taste like snowballs sans marshmallow. If you don't know this about me, I LOVE snowballs so the raspberry Lamingtons were my jam. I have also been eating delightful fresh bread and really enjoying delicious cheeses and fruits like Tamarillos and Passion Fruit - which actually looks like a shrivelled up beet until you cut it open and then is is bright orange and delightful.

Today by dear friend Lizzie and I head out to buy the ingredients for her wedding cupcakes. We are jazzing up two of my tried and true recipes: vegan chocolate and white cake. I made gads of navy violets with silver dragees for the center for half of the cupcakes and brought them over from the US. They look great and they are the exact right color - I matched them to the invitation. So tomorrow we commence the baking portion of my trip. It is Good Friday so everything is closed so it should be perfect.

I will attached pictures at a later date of my adventures in the United Arab Emirates and Australia. Until then, happy baking!

0 Comments